Tuesday, August 4, 2009

August 4

Jon has made huge improvements in the past week. He has moved to rehab. He is working almost all day. The first few days he was so tired but is building more endurance. He passed his swallow test on Monday. He can eat and drink whatever he wants to! He was really craving a Dr. Pepper. He said it wasn't as good as he remembered!...I told him to try a Pepsi b/c they are much better:) Jon remembers things and his personality is very much the "old Jon." He does have a little trouble with his short term memory but it is getting better. Sometimes he gets some details confused. It is hard to see him feel upset b/c he has something wrong. He is very determined to get out of the hospital and walk! He has a few sayings..."depends on how you want to look at it," "slowly but surely," and "it could be a whole lot worse." He has a good outlook and a positive attitude. He is supposed to have his trach removed tomorrow. He has had it capped off for about a week now and is doing well. We are so thankful for all of the prayers and kind words. Please continue to pray for Jon, Melinda, and our families. We still have many tough times ahead of us.

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy to hear of the incredible progress Jon has made. Thank you so much for the updates. I will continue to keep him and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I know Courtney continues to think of him as well. I hope he has a happy birthday tomorrow. He has SO MUCH to celebrate!!!! I eagerly await the day when I hear that he gets to go home! And don't worry about him giving the rehab staff a hard time...they will just give it right back and both have a better time during treatments. Keep up the hard work, Jon!

    Take care!
    Candace Denson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear of Jon's improvements and how hard he is working in rehab. Happy Birthday, Jon!!!
    Thank you, Darci, for keeping this update going for us. I check it usually daily, anxiously hoping for improvements. It is so great for you to be seeing Jon getting better. I am so excited for you all.
    Will continue to keep you in our prayers.
    Debby Orcutt

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so happy that Jon and Melinda are both improving with each day. Keep up the good work Jon and strive to become stronger each day....just a little each day. Walt and I have your and your family in our prayers and thoughts each day. Thanks Darci for keeping us all informed about Jon. All of you take care of yourselves!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JON!!!!
    Walt and Susan

    ReplyDelete